Love Wānaka is a charitable funding platform that connects Wānaka’s visitors – and the industry that supports them – to projects of value through funding and volunteer opportunities.
Every dollar goes towards supporting critical environmental mahi through the likes of native revegetation, biodiversity protection, waterway health and pest control. By supporting Love Wānaka, you’re supporting the network of organisations on the ground who protect and regenerate our environment day in, day out.
We hope you’ll join us.
1. Love Wānaka raises funds via visitors, partnered businesses, and key industry operators and stakeholders here in the region.
2. All funds are pooled for collective impact, then on-allocated to local charities operating in the environmental sector via annual distribution rounds. This is about supporting the network of environmental organisations and initiatives with funding allocated in a targeted and strategic manner, rather than supporting ad-hoc projects.
3. We share the impact and tell the stories of the difference we’ve made – together.
4. 20% of all funds are invested in an endowment fund, ensuring long-term, substantial funding opportunities into the future.
Love Wānaka is powered by Destination Southern Lakes (a collaboration between Lake Wānaka Tourism and Destination Queenstown) and is delivered in partnership with the Wakatipu Community Foundation – a donor driven charitable trust that supports localised philanthropy right here in our region.
Funding decisions are overseen by an independent distribution committee which is made up of experts in both the funding and environmental landscape, ensuring we can deliver funds in a targeted and strategic manner to the areas of greatest need – and impact.
Learn more about the team and the organisations behind Love Wānaka here.
Each year, we allocate funds to local organisations who operate in the climate, conservation, and biodiversity space, whether that’s through native revegetation efforts, biodiversity protection, pest eradication, waterway monitoring and more.
Funding is available to charitable organisations and initiatives on a contestable basis, with annual grant rounds open each year. Funding decisions are made by an independent distribution committee, with input and advice from the Wakatipu Community Foundation. Click here to find out about our grant criteria and application process.
We have a focus on strategic and collaborative giving so we can support the wider network of projects and initiatives needed to deliver impactful and long-term benefit.
And the best bit? Every dollar is spent exclusively within this region, so you know you’re making a difference to the place you love.
As well as knowing you’re part of a community of people driving meaningful mahi, there are a number of perks to supporting Love Wānaka.
1. Business resources – we’ll tee you up with all the print and digital assets you need so you can share your support for Love Wānaka with your customers, and your community.
2. Visibility – by supporting Love Wānaka, you’ll be recognised as a business that’s out there, doing good. As well as featuring in our end-of-year reports and annual impact comms, we’ll work with you on relevant brand and storytelling opportunities for features across our channels (and yours). Our visitors are increasingly aware of their own impact, and the impact of the activities and experiences they choose, so there’s no better time to jump on board.
3. Support – we’re here to make this easy. We’ll work with you throughout this journey to ensure a best-fit approach for your business, and your clients.
There are three key ways your business can get behind Love Wānaka:
1. Donate – support Love Wānaka with a charitable donation as and when you can, or make an ongoing commitment with a pro-rata donation per ticket, activity or experience sold. Every dollar raised goes back to protecting and regenerating the environment our industry relies on.
2. Invite your guests to contribute – make the first move by adding a donation onto the cost of your product or experience, suggest a voluntary visitor donation at the point of sale, or encourage donations in lieu of tips or booking bonuses.
3. Share the love – display Love Wānaka assets in store, or use your online presence to connect your customers with opportunities to donate, lend a hand, or invest in our future. We have a range of print and digital assets – simply contact us to arrange collection.
We pool our funds for collective impact, so no matter how big or small your donation is, we have the capacity to support environmental action in a meaningful way.
By consolidating your charitable giving, your money will go further not only for yourself, but also for the charitable organisations you’re supporting.
No portion of your funding supports Love Wānaka’s operational expenses either, so you know every bit of your contribution goes to where it’s needed most.
All donations over the value of $5NZD are eligible for charitable tax benefit.
You will receive your charitable tax receipt within 28 days for each donation made, as well as an annual donor summary following the financial-year-end.
20% of all funds raised are invested in an endowment fund, enabling long-term, substantial funding opportunities that will benefit this place for generations to come.
Funds are invested with support from the Wakatipu Community Foundation. Each year, the income earned on the investments is available for annual distribution to local organisations and initiatives, whilst the capital remains intact. This annual gifting continues in perpetuity – it’s the gift that keeps on giving.